Sunday, November 14, 2010

The move...to NYC!


My daughter just moved to NYC! This is very exciting for her, but for me, well I have East Coast genes and have always loved Manhattan; its energy, eccentricities, and constant stimuli make it one of the greatest cities in the world.  I don't see myself living there full time, I have been spoiled by the ease of living in the Midwest for too long. Which is why I am delighted that she has moved there: this means lots of visits, buying trips, and discovering of new trends, designs, and styles. Last year in NYC we scoured the local markets and found some great African beads and attended a Tibetan Buddhist ceremony at St. John the Divine Episcopal Church. I incorporated the beads into multicultural necklaces with beads from Turkey, Thailand, and Mexico and the beautiful Tibetan thangkas that we saw reminded me of the Vietnamese Yao ceremonial masks on The Loaded Trunk.


An array of colorful African beads in the markets of NYC.


necklace on the loaded trunk using all African beads.

necklace combining African glass beads and a Thai Buddhist amulet.

A Tibetan thangka on display at St. John the Divine.

A beautiful Tibetan sculpture which reminds me of my Burmese golden Buddhas.


While my daughter felt like the guy on the left after her move, she giggled at the eccentricities of the city.
I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to share your favorite NYC moments or give some tips on the best markets, restaurants, and hidden gems of the city that pop up as quickly as they fade into the next trend.

2 comments :

  1. How lucky ....you have the perfect reason to visit New York...and often....xv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving into a fabulous city like New York is just wonderful! Have a lovely day, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete