Thursday, September 23, 2010

Motivation

I have been off the grid.  Back from Mexico for almost 2 weeks now cataloging, photographing, describing and doing all of the behind-the-scenes stuff which, while not so exciting and glamorous,  is essential for all these things that help get me planning my next journey. Today I stopped for a moment to read a link to a blog that I love but have been too busy to read: coco+kelley.  I love that she has several new guest bloggers that have infused a new perspective. Yesterday's guest blogger, who hosts her own fantastic fashion blog Fuji Files, chose the Hmong tribe (of the Golden Triangle which forms Northern Laos, Burma, and Thailand) and their amazing traditional weavings and textiles.  
Hmong women in traditional costumes. Photo courtesy of coco+kelley
It is only September but in January I am going to S.E. Asia for a month or so.  I have been on the internet and phone all morning looking for the best fare I can find. I was annoyed and needed a break so I opened a few emails and photos of these amazing Hmong women popped up and I got goose bumps.  I love S.E. Asia. My roots run deep there. I have a brother in Thailand, went to high school in Hong Kong, lived in Taiwan and Japan and have traveled all over. If I ever have to choose a place that I am most drawn it is Southeast Asia: the food, crafts and cultural traditions always call me. As a buyer I don't feel like I have to begin carving the silk road, there are so many talented artisans who are already on it and are thrilled to work with someone as small as the loaded trunk.

Seeing coco+kelley's blog post got me over my annoyance and reminded me why I do this in the first place: to continue my travels and experiences all over the world.

To bring some Hmong traditions into your home, please check out The Loaded Trunk where I have stocked some intricately beautiful Hmong blankets and rare Yao Ceremonial Masks.

Photo's from The Loaded Trunk.


Off to finalize my next travel plans...

No comments :

Post a Comment