Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Along the way

In my wonderful and exciting time since beginning The Loaded Trunk I have met some extraordinary  people along the way who also share an appreciation for unique and beautiful things.
One of those people is my good friend Kelly Ludwig, AKA 'Queen of Design'. She’s on another road trip doing what she loves most — discovering talented, self-taught artists.  She has a huge collection of their work and has already published a book called Detour Art.
 Photo taken by Becky 
Her trip reminded me of the people, places and objects I’ve encountered along my journeys. Dao Anh Khanh, painter and performance artist, was one of these people.  It was one of those daring moments in Hanoi- I met someone who suggested I just show up at his home and ask to see his work. I jumped on the back of a motor bike and spent the rest of the day graciously being entertained by this eccentric and memorable man.  It is exactly this freedom and sense of adventure that I share with Kelly. 
 Dao Anh Khanh at home
Wall around his home
 
Sculpture on grounds
  Bedroom
 Studio
Photos by roni jaco
When I think of how I’ve changed and what I’ve learned over the last year or so, I think of Kelly and a quote she once shared with me:
"I get up every morning determined both to change the world and to have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." 
- E. B. White 

No comments :

Post a Comment